What I'm Reading Right Now:

What I'm currently Reading:

Fevre Dream - George RR Martin
Moon Over Soho - Ben Aaronovitch
Ravenheart - David Gemmell
Prisoner of the Iron Tower (Book II) - Sarah Ash

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Review: On Basilisk Station - David Webber

Rating: 3
Husband: Loved it
Got it: Second Hand Bookstore
Price: $2.50
Finished: 2 months ago

Synopsys:
The first novel in David Weber's popular Honor Harrington series, On Basilisk Station, follows Commander Honor Harrington and Her Majesty’s light cruiser Fearless during their assignment to the Basilisk system. Though Basilisk has become a dumping ground for misfits and rejects from her home colony of Manticore, Honor is determined to discharge her duty regardless of the circumstances.

The story follows Honor and her crew as they deal with the responsibilities of their assignment. When their duty leads them to discover events that would lead to an invasion of Manticore, they have no choice but to act.

Review:
Space Opera meets Top Gun!  My Husband is a huge fan of these books and was appalled that I hadn't read them.   So we went about changing that!

I've found book one - On Basilisk Station - at a second hand bookstore and I really enjoyed it.  Some of the space technical stuff was a bit much for me, not being the hard science person like some out there.  I got the big picture technially, and I really liked the ideas he puts in on space travel and warps bands.  Very thoughtful stuff!   The supporting characters can be a little flat, but as the book progressed, they personalities came out more. I love the main character, Honor and her space cat!  She is very pragmatic and I like that in a leader.

The book wasn't what I was expecting at all, and after the first couple of chapters I wasn't sure that I was going to like it.   Once it got rolling, it hooked me.  The action was fast, the ending set up was excellent, I loved the desperation and the great interspace fighting.  Good solid reading material! 

I'm currently keeping an eye out for more of these as I cruise the bookshops.

No comments:

Post a Comment