What I'm Reading Right Now:

What I'm currently Reading:

Fevre Dream - George RR Martin
Moon Over Soho - Ben Aaronovitch
Ravenheart - David Gemmell
Prisoner of the Iron Tower (Book II) - Sarah Ash

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Review: The Adamantine Palace - Stephen Deas


Rating: 4
Husband: Liked it
Got it: Retail bookstore
Price: $8.95
Finished: late 2011

Synopsys:
The power of the Realms depends on its dragons. With their terrifying natures tempered by a mysterious liquid, they are ridden by the aristocracy and bred for hunting and war. But as dangerous political maneuverings threaten the empire, a single dragon has gone missing. And even one dragon-returned to its full intelligence and fury-could spell disaster for the Realms...



Review:
I really liked this book! Stephen Deas dragons were a dangerous mix of Anne McCaffrey's intelligent Dragons of Pern and the man eater/hater from the movie Dragonslayer.  Color me totally sold on these dragons! I just couldn't get enough of the dragons and the magic used to enslave them.

The political drama was not much to my liking, there was a little too much and a little too contrived. It just didn't hold my interest, which was sad because the opening had a lot of promise with an excellent bit of backstory!   I would have liked tighter writing on the political manoeuvrings, and more about the dragon culture that the characters/world is based on.

Husband thoroughly enjoyed it and we were looking forward to the second book.  Review coming next.

No comments:

Post a Comment