What I'm Reading Right Now:

What I'm currently Reading:

Fevre Dream - George RR Martin
Moon Over Soho - Ben Aaronovitch
Ravenheart - David Gemmell
Prisoner of the Iron Tower (Book II) - Sarah Ash

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Review: Maze Runner - James Dashner

Rating: 2
Husband: Didn't finish (but I made him start so that I could get validation on my thoughts, which he did)
Got it: Airport Retail
Price: 14.99
Finished: late 2011 

Synopsys:
When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Review:
Hated it.

I really had to force myself to finish. Every new scene made me think "what? why?".  Why why why why why?  and stuff like, "that stupid" and "who would do that?" etc etc ad nausium.  It was a poor mans Hunger Games without the excellent background, characters and well... everything else.

I actually turn my head when I see the sequel in stores. 

This book was a resounding disappointment. None of the characters lived up to their selection for "the maze". The whole thing seems really contrived, disjointed, and unappealing to me.

Teens and kids should be given a better ending then, "its a real life video game to solve the worlds problems".  If you want your kid to read something like that, run out now and get them a copy of Enders Game.  Now that a great boy-centric, solve earths problems kind of book that a tween/teen/YA should read.

Note: I have also read reviews from people that say this is one of their favorite books.  *shrug*.  This is my review, and my opinion. I guess I can't like them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment