What I'm Reading Right Now:

What I'm currently Reading:

Fevre Dream - George RR Martin
Moon Over Soho - Ben Aaronovitch
Ravenheart - David Gemmell
Prisoner of the Iron Tower (Book II) - Sarah Ash

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Review: King of Crags - Stephen Deas

Rating: 2.5
Husband: Reading it
Got it: Second hand bookstore
Price: $7.99
Finished: Recently

Synopsys:
Now, as the Realms teeter on the brink of war, the fate of humanity rests in the survival of one majestic white dragon.

Prince Jehal has had his way-now his lover Zafir sits atop the Realms with hundreds of dragons and their riders at her beck and call. But Jehal's plots are far from over, for he isn't content to sit back and watch Zafir command the earth and sky. He wants that glory for himself- no matter who he must sacrifice to get it. The one thing Jehal fears is that the white dragon still lives-and if that is so, then blood will flow, on all sides...

Review:
Well, this one just didn't 'grab me by hair' like the first book did, The Adamantine Palace.  (My review here).  However, this is a trilogy, so I'm really hoping that last book moves back towards "GOOD GREIF this is awesome" like the first book.  If it ends like the Eragon series (poorly), I'm going to be a sad and disappointed reader.

Onwards.  I found this book particularly hard to get into. I had to force myself to pick it up at night, and then spent my time wishing that it would get electrifying.  The dragon bits were good and they kept me reading. The magic bits were okay, but the whole experience was dampened by the massive amount of politics. 

Not that I don't like a good twisting political drama. I just don't feel that is what is given.  Its kind of...bland.  More princes, lords, and ladies all trying to poison, push and sleep their way to the top....but for what?  There doesn't seem to be a top goal here, there is no real "one ring to lead them all".  I was left thinking why are you bothering? You all have kingdoms, you all have dragons, you all have money, you all have food, and people to work for you. Whats the big deal?  Pride?  What is at stake here?

I just didn't get pulled in, which is why I might be more disappointed in this book then I should be. I was looking for the magic I felt in The Adamantine Palace, and I didn't get it.  If you have ready the first, then I would suggest reading the second, and I hope that book three leaves me more satisfied then this.

Once again, I waited on the second hand bookstore for this big hardback.  In this case, I'm VERY glad that I waited. I would have been pretty bitter to get this story for full price.

No comments:

Post a Comment