What I'm Reading Right Now:

What I'm currently Reading:

Fevre Dream - George RR Martin
Moon Over Soho - Ben Aaronovitch
Ravenheart - David Gemmell
Prisoner of the Iron Tower (Book II) - Sarah Ash

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Review: John Carter of Mars Collection - Edgar Rice Burroughs

Rating: 4
Husband: loved it (long ago when he was a lad)
Got it: Nook
Price: $0.99 for them ALL!
Finished: 2012

Synopsys (A Princess of Mars):
Let the adventures begin, as Captain John Carter finds himself transported to the alien landscape of Mars-where the low gravity increases his speed and strength exponentially. Taken prisoner by Martian warriors, he impresses them with his remarkable fighting skills, and quickly rises to a high-ranking chieftain. But the heroic Carter's powers thrust him right in the middle of a deadly war raging across the planet--and a dangerous romance with a divine princess.

Review: 
After getting dragged unwillingly to go see the Disney film for John Carter of Mars, I was HOOKED. I know the movie got terrible reviews, but I think that had a lot more to do with misplaced expectations then the quality of the movie.

I came home and immediately downloaded the books onto my nook and got to reading that night.

The collection includes three novels by ERB:
A Princess of Mars
The Gods of Mars, and
Warlord of Mars

The style is different then what people read/write now; very documentary style/journal-esk, but I have to say that I was captivated.  I managed to get through all three books in a week. I couldn't put them down and I read well into the early hours of night.  Work suffered.  The dog did not get his regular length morning walks. I was tired.

I don't think that I have had that much book enjoyment for 99 cents ever!  If you have not read these, then I really suggest you do. Also - content appropriate for YA.  Very modest back in the day! 

Also. I love Tars Tarkas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment